Twelve Days of DIY Christmas - Day 6 - Christmas Tray

>> 12.02.2014

I bought this tray at a thrift store for a couple of dollars a while back and decided to fix it up and turn into a Christmas Tray.


The tray needed a lot of work. So first thing I did was sand down the ridges of the print on the tray.   It was sort of engraved in there so I hoped it wouldn't show through. When I was sanding the sides, the corner pieces popped off which was awesome because I didn't know they were separate. So that made the project even better! I primed the tray and gave it two coats of white spray paint, and then I sprayed the corner pieces with Rustoleum Gold Metallic spray paint.


Then using Martha Stewart adhesive stencil film, I drew out the image I had decided on. It really took me forever to figure out what I wanted to do, but I settled with something that looked christmasy but could work the rest of the year too. I cut it out using an x-acto knife and ruler to get a straight line.




Before spray painting, I taped up the rest of the tray. I sprayed two coats of gold spray paint and after it dried I carefully removed the film.




I love the way it turned out! Definitely better than the original! My daughter, who thinks hot chocolate is one of the five food groups, is ecstatic to have a fancy tray for serving hot chocolate!







And just a reminder of what it looked like before!


1 comments:

emily 12/9/14, 10:51 PM  

I hope Target picks you up as a designer and I can buy this tray there next Christmas.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP