Happy First Day of Fall!

>> 9.23.2015

It's officially the first day of Autumn and today I want to celebrate by showing you a cheap and easy way to bring a little fall color to your home with plaid pillows. 

I'd love to call this a DIY tutorial. Except... I didn't take before pictures, and I didn't even sew the pillows! But I'd love to show you what I've got, and I hope you'll forgive me that I didn't include the process.

 I wanted to add more texture to my Fall decor this year, and what better way to do that than with some yummy plaid wool fabric. I wanted fabric that was unique and vintage, so instead of going the usual route for fabric, I went to the thrift store. I found a men's thick cotton plaid shirt and a lovely wool plaid wrap skirt with fringe, both $7 ea.  

This will give you an idea of what they looked like. 

Since my sewing machine is broken, and my friend Emily is ten times the sewist I will ever be, I had her sew these shirts into two very cool pillow slipcovers. The wrap skirt became a pocket slipcover, and the men's shirt became a button-up slipcover with the pockets still on it. 



Fun, right?



The orange and brown pillow is my favorite, and I think it completes the decor in our front room. The other pillow is going elsewhere, and I can't wait to show you the little touches of fall I've added to the rest of the living areas.




p.s. If you'd like a tutorial on how to make your own men's shirt pillow, check out THIS tutorial from Ann at On Sutton Place.

2 comments:

Christine 10/6/15, 10:24 AM  

The pillows are absolutely beautiful!! Pinned!

Unknown 10/6/15, 1:22 PM  

Thanks, Christine!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP