Playroom Dreaming

>> 2.17.2014

We have lived in our house for almost a year, and the first few months we were here I was really motivated and repainted (or hired someone to paint) almost every room in the house, aside from the laundry room downstairs and the entire living space upstairs, which includes a playroom and a hall.

 This is what our playroom looks like right now.





Oh, who am I kidding... Twenty minutes ago this is what our playroom looked like.


Certainly you can relate.

Anyway. It's a fairly large, narrow room with yellowish beige walls and a completely blank slate. You would think that would be a good thing, but I'm actually a little overwhelmed with what to do in there, since there are so many options!  And I've also been putting it off because that's a lot of walls to paint. But this week I have been getting some inspiration and I thought I'd share with you some of my (and my kids') favorite ideas.

See this empty corner here?

Brian and I were thinking of putting something big there, and so after some research, we came up with three ideas, and took it to the kids to see what they thought.

1. A stage like this:


or this:


2. An art/homework center like this:

or this:



3. A loft fort/playhouse a little like this:


or this:

or this:



And after reviewing the options, what do you think the kids picked?

Ding Ding Ding!

The Loft/Fort Playhouse

I'm really on the fence about this though. On top of it being a lot of work, it's a semi-permanent structure that would take up a whole corner of the room. Not that that space was being utilized very well to begin with, but once it's up, there's no moving it around, you know?

So we'll sit on that idea for a while, and in the meantime I am working on a color scheme and psyching myself up to paint the playroom and hallway upstairs. I want to go with a beigey-gray, and maybe even a navy blue accent wall on the back wall.

These are the colors I'm liking right now.
Later this week I'll share with you a mood board for the playroom, as well as some individual projects I've been working on for this room.

But in the meantime, do you think we are totally crazy for putting up a fort? Have you done something like this in your house? Tell me your thoughts!


3 comments:

vandfam 2/17/14, 1:35 PM  

I totally would have chosen the fort/caste thing! It will be awesome.. I can't wait to see pictures!

stacey 2/17/14, 8:37 PM  

I would actually go with bigger than you were thinking and make it a kid house. I would move the kitchen into the downstairs part of the playhouse and put a white board at the end of it finished out to look like a window so the kids could draw the weather outside that day or night. It looks like you would have room for a full sized mattress second floor. You could put your bookshelves up there and it would be a great place for reading/nap time. It could also double as a guest space if you need that. If you enclose it with walls or curtains you could do another "window" with the magnetic paint and shapes painted with glow in the dark paint so they would glow in that tent. Of course it needs a slide down from the second floor and maybe a little garage on the side with the tool bench and a ride on toy parked. I also like this idea. http://iamhardware.com/indoor-tree-house-the-big-reveal/?fb_action_ids=10151828893109052&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=timeline_og&action_object_map=%7B%2210151828893109052%22:635726753104127%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210151828893109052%22:%22og.likes%22%7D&action_ref_map=[]

Unknown 2/18/14, 9:28 AM  

Great ideas, Stacey! Thanks!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP