My Dream Bookcases

>> 2.24.2015



Ever since we moved into our house I have dreamed about having built-in bookcases in the front room, but it's taken two years to finally set aside the money, stop talking about it and do it f'reals.

The ideas that we have for this space really include a four-step plan. This opening here is a walk-thru that leads to the kitchen, but in between the kitchen is our laundry room and very small pantry.


Our first step was to close off the walkway so that eventually we can expand the pantry and close it off from the rest of the kitchen. Step two is a wall of built-in bookcases against the far wall. Step three will be to close in the walk-thru on the other side to create a larger pantry, and step four, which we aren't sure about yet, is to close in this front room and add french doors to make it more of a study.

But because we don't want to fork over the money just yet, we only opted to do steps one and two right now, and then maybe in the summer we will do the rest.

Since neither my husband or I are reno DIYers, and knew it would be a hot mess if we tried, we called up our amazing carpenter friend, Travvis to create something we would love.


Travvis closed-off the walk-through, and then he got started on the bookcases. Most of the building was done in our garage, and he brought it in and installed large sections at a time. He was nice enough to let me take progress pictures throughout, so that I could make a fun GIF to share with you all.


After he completed the bookcases, he sanded them down and left them for me to paint. I chose to paint them myself to save money, but if I could do it all over again, I would have paid to have someone paint them for me. Dude, when I was in the thick of it I would have paid a thousand dollars and given my firstborn to have someone paint it for me. It was a LOT. And it also made me very nitpicky about my own work. It's not perfect, and because I painted it, at first I was critical of the imperfections.  But now that it's finished and styled and I'm not looking at it with a magnifying glass anymore, I am able to let the little flaws go, and I love it.



By far my favorite part of this process was styling the bookcases. I have been buying things in anticipation for this bookcase for a long time and it was so fulfilling to finally get everything out and play!


I do want to get a different chair (the one in there now is a $5 garage sale find) and we also need to raise the ceiling fan (or replace it,) but for the most part, the room is done and it's officially my favorite room in the house. Hope you love it too!







Linked to:


TDC Before and After


Upcycled Treasures

The DIY Dreamer

17 comments:

emily 2/25/15, 9:21 AM  

It's a thing of beauty. I love the gif :)

emily 2/25/15, 9:21 AM  

It's a thing of beauty. I love the gif :)

Brenda 2/25/15, 12:19 PM  

Great job Mandie! Beautiful!

Kelly 2/25/15, 2:09 PM  

Ooo la la! What a difference! Love the new look (and props for the fun gif!) :)

Gentle Joy 2/27/15, 8:49 AM  

Wow! That is beautiful!

Jamie@PaperedHouse 3/2/15, 5:54 AM  

The bookcases turned out lovely! They turned out great and you must feel so delighted to have a "dream" project checked off the list. Eventually, my husband and I would like to do something similar in our second floor den -- now it's just a matter of setting aside the funds. Pinning this for inspiration when the time comes!

Linda 3/2/15, 7:57 AM  

Quite the WOW!!
Your room now makes a statement!

Katie @ Upcycled Treasures 3/3/15, 2:33 PM  

Not only are these bookcases absolutely beautiful, but I love how you styled them too! Pinned :)

Gilly @ Colour Saturated Life 3/3/15, 3:26 PM  

That is such a beautiful makeover.....what a difference it makes and you did a wonderful job of styling!

Unknown 3/3/15, 3:31 PM  

Thank you, everyone!!!

Sarah 3/3/15, 9:35 PM  

Hi, Mandie!! Awesome to "meet" you, thanks for stopping by my blog the other day! Wow, these are amazing!! You had such a vision to see these here, they totally transform the room!!! Cracking up at you painting them yourself and being willing to give up your firstborn in the middle of the project to have someone else do it, lol!!! It was worth all the hard work, they are so beautiful. Must have been super fun to fill all the shelves, I'm kinda jealous of all that storage and accessory space:) Going to check out the rest of your blog now, I know I'm going to enjoy it!

Jessica P. 3/4/15, 11:36 PM  

I sooo want that in my house! Nice job!

Theresa 3/5/15, 2:16 PM  

We've always wanted to do this! Thanks for sharing at the Inspiration Spotlight party! Your one of tomorrows features @DearCreatives Hope to see you again soon. Feel free to get a featured button if you like.

Havalah Turner | Sisters, What! 3/10/15, 10:06 PM  

Looks amazing! and I love the wall color.

Jane 3/14/15, 11:28 PM  

Lovely--we chose to save money by doing the painting on ours, too. Lots of work, but worth it to save some $. I've got more ideas for Travis! If I could figure out what to do about my dark green kitchen counters and the oriental type rug Lynn chose, I'd get rid of the red wall and go to blue, or maybe aqua myself. It took us 2 1/2 years to get around to doing our project, too. God bless Travis--he's great!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP